Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Respecting Day

Today's a school-free day today for students who live in my part of the country. It's also a day where we descendants pay our ancestors' grave to pay our respects. Many people went a few days earlier already, so today is pretty much just a holiday.

Right, to the important issue at hand! The Hunger Games finally premiered a week ago. I know, i know, i'm a little too late to be talking about it, but i don't care. It's not my fault that i have a hog of a brother. Anyways, it premiered on a Friday, but because i had school and it was a weekday, my grandma a 'NO'. And so, i waited till the next day, but on Saturday, i had my school activities. I didn't get home till like five in the evening. Plus, i had some sorta big family dinner thing that night, so THG had to be delayed again. God, it was the longest night of my life. Everyone was at the Cineplex watching it, and here i was at home, sitting at the dining table among my family members, being all enthusiastic and stuff. I was on zombie-mode though. My body was there, but my soul and mind was somewhere close to THG.

And for those who have no idea what The Hunger Games is, kansfkjnjdfnknzskgnknasfnaknfaskfnanfdsjni. Kidding. THG is a film adaption of a book by Suzanne Collins of the same name. It's a sci-fi, action and drama film. It's mainly about the Hunger Games, which is an annual event held where children between the ages of 12 and 18 from 12 different districts are chosen to participate in through something like a lottery called 'The Reaping'. The chosen ones are thrown into an arena controlled by the Capital and are forced to battle it out with one another in order to survive and be crowned as the only survivor and victor of the Hunger Games.

After i finished my dinner, my mom looked to me and said, 'Val, why don't you bring your brother to the cineplex tomorrow and go watch that what, hungry games movie?' FINALLY.

I didn't give her 'hungry games' statement much thought as i was over the moon. I AM WATCHING THE HUNGER GAMES TOMORROW. MUHAHAHA was all i thought about that night. I couldn't sit still, i couldn't watch tv, i couldn't sleep. I was totally hyped up. When Sunday afternoon arrived, my mom dropped me and my bro off at the mall which is where the cineplex is and right after the attendant at the counter handed me the tickets, i couldn't stop staring at that wonderful piece of paper. IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. I kept on flipping it in my hand.

And when the moment the movie started playing, LOL i shut away the rest of the world and focused only at the enormous white screen sitting in front of me. We were so lucky as we got the best seats in the house, right at the center of the theater. WOOHOOOOOO. Before the movie premiered, i re-read the book again and again to make sure i remember the details from it.

Hmm, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta? Great. Liam Hemsworth as Gale? Not-so-great. I mean, he wasn't exactly the Gale i had pictured in my mind while reading the book. He's good-looking, yes, but just not my 'Gale'. And of course, Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. Best freakin' decision ever made. She was perfect for the role. The writer of the book, Suzanne Collins, had in mind for the role of Katniss Everdeen is a girl with a more mature look while still being able to perfectly fit into the profile of a sixteen year old and Jennifer Lawrence was the best candidate for the role! And i think that she looks better as a brunette than a blonde, just saying. Elizabeth Banks as Effie, hahaha that was a rather funny choice, but nevertheless great, though i couldn't really recognize Elizabeth Banks from all that make-up she had on her. Last but not least, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. Besides the casting of jennifer Lawrence, this was also the perfect selection for the role of Haymitch.

Yawn, i'm beat. Better go take a nap now. Goodnight :)

'And may the odds be ever in your favor' - The Hunger Games

No comments:

Post a Comment